Featured Houses for 2013
Milton and Saundra Williams
808 S Anglin
Nestled among 200 year old trees, this Queen Anne style home the with Eastlake details,
has changed little since its construction in 1892, and is proclaimed to be one of the best
examples of Victorian architecture in the city.
Interesting features include decorative Fish scale shingling, polychromatic painting. A
special formula is created to keep the rose-colored paint to represent the time period and
represent the name of the home, “The Anglin Rose.”
A prominent feature is the modified 9’ x 9’ keyhole window and spindled frieze work
and the octagonal second floor turret which contains four half moon windows.
Purchased by its current owners, Milton and Saundra Williams, in 1998 the home
received extensive renovation with more changes in the future.
Special attention to detail has been given to the the parlor downstairs. In 2013, an
exquisite addition to the parlor is a colossal crystal chandelier from the lobby of the
Henderson Hotel in Henderson, KY. Also in the parlor wallpaper has been replaced with
document paper which depicts a reproduction pattern from the same time period.
Crown molding frames the ceiling.
Saundra and Milton’s friends from Health Source will be offering light massages and
answering any questions about decompression, the benefits of chiropractic and physical
rehabilitation. They will also be giving away Got Pain cards for a free exam and xrays.
1700 S. Main on Hwy 174S
“The Cattle Baron’s Home”
This home has survived much in its 106 year history.
From being a home not wanted by its original owner to a happy home for others to a U.
S. Army Armory, to vandalism and abandonment, from natures’ raft of a tornado, and
now in recent years to love and care with restoration to its original splendor.
In 2009, after always admiring the home, Stephen and Benita Long purchased the 3800
sq ft home. This one and a half story, Craftsman-style home was built in 1907 by cattle
baron Robert (Bob) E. Gatewood for his wife, Minnie. Because she did not like the
house, the Gatewoods only lived in the home a little less than a year before moving to
another home Mr. Gatewood built, 614 Forrest in Cleburne. Bob was an extremely
successful cattle baron. He owned thousands of acres of land as well as other real estate.
In September 2009, Stephen and Benita Long bought this impressive 1.5 story cast stone
home with a gable roof, boxed eaves, and 3 dormers and 9.5 acres. It has 12 inch thick
cement mortar walls, red oak floors and all its original doors. The house has three
chimneys and one fireplace hearth. It has two large rooms upstairs said to be used as
ballrooms. Another unusual feature is the doors separating the bathroom into three
parts. Upstairs two large rooms open up to a central hallway with hug pocket doors.
The setting of the home was once more lovely having had more street frontage and a
hackberry tree-lined drive.
The Broyles Home
Don and Rachelle Broyles
The general feel is one of tradition, elegance, and a tie to history that brings the traditions
of the colonial past into play in a modern lifestyle.
The tree-lined street of Prairie is the perfect setting for this Colonial-style home
purchased by Don and Rachelle Broyles in August 2010 from the Dr. James and Martha
Curtis estate. It is unknown at this time who originally built this home in 1939, but it is
listed in the tax records as a part of ORIGINAL CLEBURNE.
Colonial-style homes became a popular American house style after the Great
Depression. Americans moved toward simple housing styles. The style marked the end
of the Victorian period in architecture. The Colonial-style is based loosely on Federal and
Georgian house styles, and a clear reaction against excessively elaborate Victorian Queen
Anne architecture. Reflecting American patriotism and a desire for simplicity, this style
remained popular until the mid-1950's. Between World War I and II, Colonial Revival
was the most popular historic revival house style in the United States. In general,
colonial home plans feature symmetry, with centered doorways and a balanced array of
windows. The second story generally has the same footprint as the first, and the exterior
is usually brick or clapboard siding.
The Hudson Home
720 N Robinson
“The House of Dreams”
Jackie and Linda welcome you to their fully restored late 1800’s cottage-style home.
Full of antiques, handcrafted treasures and a backyard retreat designed for outdoor living
Jackie and Linda Hudsons’ home is one of the older homes in Cleburne. Built in the late
1800’s, the first owners and the exact date of the home are unknown. All records were
lost in the fire of the Cleburne courthouse in 1912.It does not appear on the Sanborn map
until 1910. However, the title of the land it sits on was filed in 1856. The land was
originally owned by the heirs of Christopher Cheney, who received two separate land
grants for 1,600 acres from the Republic of Texas around 1842.
2013 Candlewalk Featured on
This year we have Carriage Rides free
to our Candlewalk Ticket Holders!
Heritage Home- Vintage Inspired
Living - 116 E Chambers 10-8
Antiques, Home Décor and Gifts. You
can purchase your Candlewalk Ticket
here. Carriage Ride will start at this
location.1pm to 7pm
Holy Comforter Episcopal Church
-209 E Wardville 1-6
Believed to be the oldest standing
Church building in Johnson County.
Stop in and enjoy
First Baptist Church -1414 N Main 1-
View on of the most outstanding wood
carvings of the Last Supper ever made.
Holiday Musical performances from
1pm -3 pm
“Little Old House”-409 N Buffalo 1-8
Always included in our ticket is the
“Little Old House” the oldest home in
Cleburne, built in
1867. The home is being restored by
Save Old Cleburne and Johnson County
Historical Commission. Decorated with
period Furnishings, we will also feature,
Terry’s Texas Rangers in Period
Layland Museum- 201 N Caddo 12-6
Stop by and tour the wonderful historic
displays throughout. Tickets can be
Johnson County Feeder Supply 302 S
Caddo St 1-8
Come by to tour this great Historic
Building. Once Housed the Battery B,
132 Field Artillery of the 36th Division
of the Texas National Guard.Marks can
still be seen in the old door sills and the
concrete ramps off Caddo Street.
Chisholm Trail Family Dental- 209 S
Buffalo-Dr Braunlin purchased the
dental practice of Berry & Berry Dental
Associates in Cleburne and the office is
now doing business as Chisholm Trail
Family Dentistry. He is honored to
take ownership of such a wonderful
place and was drawn to the charm of
this historic building. He looks forward
to getting to know everyone in the
The Wright Plaza -1 E James St. 10-8
In the Historic Wright building. The
Wright Plaza shops are an eclectic group
that includes a café, boutiques and a
gallery. There is something for the
Whistle Stop Christmas-Hulen Park
Celebrating its 14th Anniversary. More
than three million lights illuminating
Hulen Park. November 19th- Dec 30th
beginning at dusk.
Holiday Gift Mart- 1501 W Henderson-
Conference Center 9-4
Shoppers will find a number of different
gift ideas ranging from jewelry, unique
children’s apparel, home décor, health
and beauty items, to Scentsy,
Tupperware and Pampered Chef
products. Admission will be $2.00 for
adults, children under 12 free, and half
price admission for Candlewalk Home
Chisholm Trail Outdoor Museum-
2500 S HWY 67 10-6
Featuring Indian teepees, life sized
silhouette cattle drive, an old windmill,
stagecoach station, the jail, their newest
addition- the School, where they hold
real class, and Wardville Courthouse ,the
oldest log cabin courthouse in Texas
built in 1854